Motivational or inspirational quotes are one way to plant the right seeds in a youth athlete’s mind, and maybe create some “mental toughness”.
Mental toughness is a measure of individual resilience and confidence that may predict success in sport, education and the workplace.
In the context of sports training, in the context of a set of attributes that allow a person to become a better athlete and able to cope difficult training and difficult competitive situations and emerge without losing confidence. In recent decades, the term has been commonly used by coaches, sport psychologists, sports commentators, and business leaders.
“Mental toughness” is frequently used colloquially to refer to any set of positive attributes that helps a person to cope with difficult situations. Coaches and sport commentators freely use the term mental toughness to describe the mental state of athletes who persevere through difficult sport circumstances to succeed.
Here are some motivational quotes from famous mentally tough coaches and athletes.
- “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” – unknown
- “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden
- “I believe in myself.” – Muhammad Ali
- “Winning takes talent; to repeat takes character.” – John Wooden
- “Set your goals high, and don’t stop until you get there.” – Bo Jackson
- “If you train hard, you’ll not only be hard, you’ll be hard to beat.” Hershel Walker
- “To be prepared is half the victory.” – Miguel Cervantes
- “Adversity causes some to break; others to break records.” – William Ward
- “Ain’t no chance, if you don’t take it.” – Guy Clark
- “The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” – Vince Lombardi
- “There is no ‘I’ in team” – unknown
- “I am the greatest. I said that before I knew I was.” Muhammad Ali
- “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you’ll never change the outcome.” – Michael Jordan
- “Success is dependent upon effort.” – unknown
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “Wisdom is always an over match for strength.” – Phil Jackson
- “Do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done the best way it can be done, and do it that way every time.” – Bob Knight
- “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
- “Show me a guy who’s afraid to look bad, and I’ll show you a guy you can beat every time.” – Lou Brock
- “Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.” – Michael Jordan